1.05.2008

But I don't WANT to quit smoking

I can't believe I quit smoking. I didn't want to quit. I wanted to want to quit. I wished I wanted to quit. One day I just couldn't keep doing it any more. It's the weirdest thing: I can't bring myself to smoke even though I really really want to. Sometimes I get this strong urge to have a cigarette. STRONG. Know what I mean? Ever been addicted? That book (Easy Way to Stop Smoking) is spooky. I didn't even finish it. I knew there was something strange because I was only about a third of the way through it and I wasn't wanting to smoke very much. We took a trip to Portland and stayed in a hotel that didn't have any smoking rooms left and we had a non-smoking rental car. When I made the arrangements I was pissed -- I couldn't figure out how I was going to enjoy the trip. Once we got there (and I had read more of the book), it was no problem. It's just too weird. I don't understand it. I want to know what happened, how it works. How could I be a smoker one day, with no intention of quitting, and then wake up the next day and say "I'm not smoking ever again?" What is that?

3 comments:

LeLo said...

For me, I quit smoking by leaving Portland and visiting California. The familiar triggers and places to smoke were gone, so I simply didn't, and we both know the first few days are the hardest. After not smoking for a week, I didn't want to go back to smoking. Even when I returned to Oregon, though I would have an urge every once in a while for years.
I suppose Portland/California must have a reciprocal quit smoking exchange we both participated in and didn't realize. :) Congratulations and welcome to becoming a non-smoker. You smell much, much better.

Cathy said...

Lelo,
thanks! i look forward to not smoking in portland -- perhaps even with you.

neelaksh said...


I couldnt leave your website the article was so nicely framed,Smoking cigarettes is injurious to our health.
For a regular smoker quitting cigaretee is a tough task.But if a person switches to electronic cigaretees and juuls,This will surely
help him a lot to quit smoking.Now a days people can buy best electronic cigarettes from online stores