3.19.2008

March 19, 2008 End the War in Iraq Blogswarm

Jim Barron, 80, poses at his home in New Haven, Conn., Thursday, March 13, 2008. Barron, who wears hearing aids and has a pacemaker, says he plans to risk arrest by participating in an act of civil disobedience next Wednesday, March 19 on the fifth anniversary of the start of the Iraq war. Barron served in the U.S. Army as a paratrooper in the 1950's. (AP Photo/Bob Child)



War: the ignorant against the innocent.

Bush is not the son who's gonna tote the gun.

Loyalty to my country: always.
Loyalty to my government: when it deserves it.
~Mark Twain

Many years ago, when I was working at University City High School, a war called Desert Storm started. The students were electrified and could talk of nothing else. UC High is in very conservative country, for the most part, but there were quite a few kids who understood that going to war for oil was insane. The students who thought it was great came to school wearing red, white and blue top hats, little pins with pro-war slogans and waving baby American flags. They'd ask, "Aren't you so proud to be an American?" They were baffled by my negative response. I always added, "I may not be proud to be an American, but I am always grateful to have been born in America."

I've tried to reconcile my various feelings about war. What would have happened if the different armies that stood against Hitler had stayed home? It is truly unacceptable that a madman with genocide on his mind is left to his own devices. No good. So, then come people with guns. I'm not good with this issue because I tend to be too narrow in my thinking: all war is bad. It is likely true that all war is bad, but some wars are not wrong.

If you would like to find all the blogs who participated in this blogswarm, go here.

3 comments:

Coffee Messiah said...

What can you say? ; (

WIsh I had found that picture and used it myself. It's priceless and says so much! ; (

Good 4 him!

Anonymous said...

ditto, Coffee Messiah.

Cathy said...

yes, HE's the hero.